Sunday, July 15, 2012

New windows!

I'm seriously avoiding the next question in the series of 30 I'm doing.  I'll just post about something else!

Our windows are original to the house.  They are single pane casement windows with metal frames.  In other words, they are giant class and metal escape routes for cold and/or hot air.  One of them has an ineffable BB sized hole.  Three of them are missing screens so they can't be opened for fear of bugs and birds flying in.  And all of them are splattered with paint and God knows what, making them impossible to clean.  When the window with the mystery hole cracked, we threw in the towel and went window shopping.  Next week, we'll have brand-spanking new Pella double pane vinyl sliding windows with screens!!  I'm a little nervous because our windows are SO OLD that they'll have to rip into the actual walls to get them out.  How much of a mess are they going to make?  How will Wayne and I be able to patch it up or will we need a pro?  If we need a pro, how much will THAT cost?

Home-ownership is a never-ending series of what-ifs.  You never know what new problems will come about as a result of fixing another problem.  It's an adventure for which I feel ill-equipped.  They should offer classes on basic home repair in college.  And every realtor should recommend the classes when they sell a home.  You know, like when you go to get married, they recommend counseling.  When you are pregnant, they recommend basic parenting classes.  I'd sign up right now, if I could find a basic home repair class.  Heck, I'd take it, then move on to advanced home repair.  I'd do it all!!

2 comments:

  1. I fixed the plastic on the dog door at my house...I'm on a roll! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think Lowe's or Home Depot offers tutorial classes for how to fix stuff. You should check into it, I MAY have just made that up. :) I know one of them does projects with kids on Saturday mornings.

    ReplyDelete