Monday, June 18, 2012

Most embarrassing moment (Day 10 of 30)

Describe your most embarrasing moment.


Ahhh.  There are so many from which to choose!!  I do a lot of embarrassing things.  I fall down, I say the wrong thing, I do something unintentionally goofy... But none of it really makes a lasting impression on me - I end up laughing at myself.  Because, really?  We ALL do embarrassing things.  It's in our nature.  And if I were take them all seriously, I'd be a mess.  Well, more of a mess than I already am.


Here's a story that simultaneously makes me laugh til I wanna pee and cringe because I feel bad:


My friend, E, had moved recently to our town.  In getting to know her, she admitted that while she loved her some God, she felt a little smothered by her religion back in her hometown.  Don't get me wrong - she is a deeply religious person.  And she loved her church family.  She was just going through a little bit of a change and trying to find the right fit for their new life.  I dubbed her a "recovering Baptist."  


One evening, E accompanied me to a home sales party.  (I believe it was home decor being sold, but can't really remember.)  Somehow, the hostess, her friend, and E got on the subject of the Duggar family and Arkansas.  The hostess asked if there were many Mormons in Arkansas.  (She mistakenly believed the Duggars to be Mormon.)  E told her she attended a Baptist church in Arkansas but now attended First Christian.  I quickly jumped in with our little joke and piped up, "E's a recovering Baptist!"  


...


...


The hostess replies, "I am Baptist."  


I was mortified.  I felt so badly for insulting her religion.  I had no right and was very much in the wrong.  I know plenty of people who have/do attend Baptist churches and they are great people.  There's nothing wrong with being Baptist.  Just like there's nothing wrong with being Catholic, yet my husband and I will sometimes joke about his childhood religion.  


The rest of the evening is a blur.  I remember finally getting to my car, and E and I dissolving into laughter.  Mind you - we were laughing at ME, shoving both feet into my mouth, at the home of a woman I barely knew. I've seen her out in town a few times, but she either has decided to ignore me or truly doesn't remember me.  I can only hope it  is the latter and that she didn't dwell on my idiocy and lack of judgement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment