Thursday, June 14, 2012

Influential people (Day 9 of 30)

List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.




1.  My dad.  We didn't have the best relationship, growing up.  I was a stubborn, willful child.  I didn't like to be told what to do unless I'd been given a rational explanation.  (As a parent now to the same kind of child, I see how frustrating that can be!)  Add to that a natural resistance to emoting on his part, and an abundance of emotion on mine, things got uncomfortable.  Let's say I had "daddy issues" for some time.  His influence colored the way I saw men for some time.  And not all bad - he was never a cheater or a drinker.  I never put up with too many shenanigans from any man because of my dad.  


2.  My mom.  When I was a kid, she was such a hippie.  Not in an unbathed way.  But she was the first person who told me love can't be wrong.  I think I've made a lot of decisions in my life based on what my heart says - some good, some bad, but all the right decision at the time.  


3.  My stepdad, JD.  He was so much fun.  And, as a teen, he helped Mom and I navigate our relationship.  But mostly what he influenced was my sense of truth.  He has a sense of honor and integrity that I hope I live up to and can instill in Jack.  


4.  My stepmom.  She made our home, in many senses of the word.  She kept the house looking nice - not just clean, but well decorated; did our laundry, baked delicious chocolate chip cookies, and made the world's best fried chicken - all with 4 kids and one income.  When I look around my house, I want to know it's as well kept as Mom's.  


5.  My good friend, Judy.  I worked with Judy in California and then in Texas.  She has kids my age, but she has been my friend for years.  Judy taught me a lot about a lot.  She knows so much about etiquette and the finer things in life. I'd still be eating crappy food and drinking cheap alcohol, if it weren't for her influence.  
5b. An Army vet, my husband has different views on the world than I do.  He tends to think I have a rose-colored view of the world.  I think his is colored by too much negativity.  (Would that be gray??)  Wayne has helped me become a little more grounded and realistic.  


6. My friends, Dan and Dyana.  (They're married so they count as one, right?)  During a difficult time, Dan and Dyana were there to help me navigate the many questions I had in regards to Christianity.  Dyana never balked at any of the questions I had.  Dan gave amazingly objective advice.  Neither of them judged me.  Not once.  It's because of them that I began to see that I could be a Christian and not have to be hypocrite or a stereotype.  


7.  Wayne, again.  (Yes, he gets two slots - he's influenced me that much!!)  My husband's love is completely steady and unwavering.  Being loved that way has helped me come a long way in terms of insecurity.  I can now accept myself for who I am and know he'll always be there - no matter who else lets me down.  


8.  My sister, Riann.  She is passionately committed to fairness and equality.  Seeing Riann take a stand on issues has helped me to see that we can make a difference.  Even when her sense of fairness and objectivity (when I'm complaining about a loved one) can make me nuts!  (Because she's right but I want to be mad.  LOL)


9.  My sister, Rachael.  I'm not done figuring out how she's influenced me - but knowing her, and losing her, has definitely shaped my life.  


10.  My friend, Kel.  What can I say?  I can literally say nothing, and Kel will understand what I mean.  That kind of friendship has helped me to grow and become more aware of who I am and who I want to be.  She's like my friend-therapist - only with lots of laughing.  (And only a little crying.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment