Friday, October 2, 2009

Soap box

I really really have a problem with inequality. I hate to see people treated unfairly. I know - that makes me a complete and total tree-hugger/hippie/idealist/flower-child. Embrace it, as I have.
I received a fwd email today about how we should boycott the Muslim holiday stamp. Now, I don't generally pay attention to political goings on so don't blame me if the information regarding the stamp is incorrect. I really don't care enough about it to do any research on the validity/dates/origins/etc. Here's the email I got:


Please, Read and forward to all your friends and family in U S.
Thanks

Veuillez lire et transmettre a tous vos amis et famille aux E U. Merci


Subject: New U.S. SPS New 42-Cent Stamp!!! Celebrates Muslim holiday.
If there is only ONE thing you forward today... let it be this!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of Pan Am Flight 103!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon !
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the military Barracks in Saudi Arabia !
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa !
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on 9/11/2001 !
REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks!

Now President Obama has directed the United States Postal Service to REMEMBER and HONOR the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a new commemorative 42 Cent First Class Holiday Postage Stamp..
REMEMBER to adamantly & vocally BOYCOTT this stamp, when you are purchasing your stamps at the post office.
All you have to say is "No thank you, I do not want that Muslim Stamp on my letters!"
To use this stamp would be a slap in the face to all those AMERICANS who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors.
REMEMBER ~Pass this along to every Patriotic AMERICAN that you know and let's get the word out !!!




So, I got a little riled. Something about the ALL CAPS Muslim, about the call to patriotic arms over a stamp... I did a little bit of research (ie, Googled "Eid"). Then, I wrote the following and hit reply all:

I probably don't know any of you on this email... I hope you take a moment to read my response.

My husband has been to Iraq twice. Once as an Army soldier, the second time as an Army contractor (and father to a 1 year old, I might add). The first time was a frightening, enthralling, life-changing, educational experience for him. I had yet to meet him so I wasn't affected. The second time was all of that for me - a year all alone in a strange city with a 1 year old WILL change you. He's lost friends to the war on terrorism. Notice I said war on TERRORISM. Not the war on the Muslims. Muslims, as a whole, are not responsible for the horrific events thrust upon our world by the extremists who claim Islam as their reason for murdering innocents. In point of fact, there are many Muslims in our military who fight just as hard as Catholics, Protestants, Baptists, Agnostics and Atheists against the terrorists we all fear. I, and my husband, happen to be very close to one such Muslim. Our friend has put herself in danger to fight for her country - the US; she has left her daughter, her friends, her life behind to fight for OUR freedoms. And for her freedom to choose a religion and NOT BE PERSECUTED FOR THAT CHOICE.

My husband is well-versed in the Muslim culture. The Eid holiday is a peaceful one. If you look it up, the history is similar to the Christian story in which a father must sacrifice his son for God. Today, the celebration is about community and giving.

Please remember that Muslims are not the enemy. Please please remember that it is extremists responsible for horrors - and extremists come in all shapes, sizes, religions and races. (Have you perhaps heard of the Army of God? St Bartholomew's Day massacre? Christian Identity? Shirley Phelps-Roper?)

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this. I just couldn't let it pass without adding my opinion and trying to keep some semblance of peace and fairness in today's mixed up crazy world.


I'm fairly proud of my little email and wanted to share it with all of you. Let's all try to remember to be fair and open-minded. To try love before we try hate. (Here comes the flower-child!) Remember that by overcoming your fears and hatreds, you'll grow as a person and make the world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! We cannot sit in silence while bigotry and hatred are promoted.... or else, we are no better than the person that clicked send on the intitial email. Thanks for the inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete