Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sickly? Boo!

I have a cold. It's nothing major - your basic, run-of-the-mill headcold. I've actually (knock on wood) had much worse. This is kind of a feeling blah, headache, sore throat and a little bit of a sniffly nose and cough cold. But it definitely disrupts my life. Which I hate. I like those days when I wake up feeling motivated and ready to accomplish anything. Days when Jack is in a spectacular mood, playing by himself while I do housework or cook or what have you. Days when I get the house completely clean and make nutritious, healthful meals for us all. When, at the end of the day, I walk through the house, turning off lights, locking doors, and notice how nice everything looks with all our crap put away and cleaned up.
This is not one of those days. Hell, I haven't had one of those days in a while. And it sucks.
I haven't been to the gym in over a month. Gr. I was really planning on jumping back on that this week. :(
My house is a wreck. And there is no chance of it getting clean without me doing it. I love my husband more than anything, but he will let it go until I feel better. (To give him his credit - he did do dishes last night.) It doesn't help me feel better when I look around and see messes everywhere. :(
But, the point... my cousin pointed out my near constant illnesses. Which I took to heart. I asked Wayne, "Am I sick a lot?" Being a man, and therefore oblivious to the anxiety and self-doubt behind the question, he answered, "Well, yeah." So now I feel horrible. Like some weak, sickly burden of a person. Like I've done something terribly wrong. I am ashamed.
Which is stupid, right? I mean, it's not as if I mean to get colds and tension headaches. I wash my hands, use sanitizer, clean all surfaces religiously with anti-bacterial wipes. I do stretches to help alleviate the tension headaches. I commented on FB that I believe it's part of being a mom to a small child - they bring home all kinds of germs and sicknesses. But I still feel... guilty.
It's a bit of a vicious cycle, too. I know working out, being healthy will help. And while I was going to the gym religiously, I was much better. (Yes, even with all the germs that float around gyms.) Then, Jack got sick. Of course. Because he's in a room with 20 other kids, most of which who's mothers could care less if they bring a sick kid to the gym to spread germs around. So, I had to stay home with him. Were I a more determined, kick-ass sort of person, I could have gone to the gym in the evenings, after dinner. But I'm not. By the time Wayne gets home from work, I am exhausted. I am done and just want to eat dinner, relax while the boys play, and then send Jack to bed so we can watch TV. Lazy? Maybe - but I'm too lazy to care. Ha! Of course, after Jack got sick, I got sick. Then the tension headaches returned. Then Wayne got sick. And now me.
I've been to the doctor about being sick, tired, and having headaches. His answer? "You have tension headaches - which I can't do anything about except tell you to take meds. We've done bloodwork and there's nothing there. You are tired and sick because you have a 3 year old. You're a mom." Okay, so it was a lot nicer than that - he's a very nice doctor. But you get the point.
It does relieve me somewhat to know that I'm not a weak, sickly mess. I'm just a mom of a germy kid. Hopefully, he'll get all this sickness and colds out of the way now so he'll have a really strong immune system when he's older. Until then, I guess I'll keep taking my meds and vitamins, and make it to the gym when I can. And... if you want to come visit me, give me at least 2 hours notice so I can clean up the little messes I've ignored in favor of laying around in my jammies and hoping I'll feel better tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment