Friday, October 9, 2009

New couches!!

Wayne and I bought our couches 3 years ago in Plano, Texas. We were moving in together, after 5 months of pregnancy and 2 months of marriage! (He was in the Army, I lived in Dallas...) My single girl furniture wasn't cutting it for Big Ern so we went on a shopping expedition. Oh the horrors of shopping for furniture that we could agree on! He's 6 ft tall, I'm 5. There's a reason they call him Big Ern, peeps! It wasn't color or design that threw up the roadblocks. We found the perfect set at a little place called Rooms To Go. We loooooved our cranberry, microfiber, overstuffed, big comfy couches. Stand up to baby puke? Check! Long haired black cat fur? Check! Even potty training toddler pee? Check check!!




Aren't they beautiful?? And so comfy!


And then... we moved. Twice within 5 months. Apparently, these couches were not meant to withstand being stacked on a moving van and thrown around by my husband's well-meaning but hopelessly rough friends. The back brace on the big couch cracked, making the whole thing kind of wiggly; the lower seat brace on the loveseat cracked, too, but it made this godawful screeching, groaning noise when anyone over the age of 10 would sit on it or get up from it; the seat backs, behind the cushions, caved in. We kept the couches for a couple more years. Couldn't bear to part with them, nor afford new furniture.


Until now!! We finally got so tired of dealing with the breakdown of our favorite furniture, our first foray into actual grown-up furniture that we bought brand new, we decided to try to fix them. Well, not ourselves, of course. We'd love to be that handy but we're just not. I called a furniture repair place and made an appointment for an estimate. They never showed. Nice. I called another place but in the course of talking with the woman figured out the time, hassle and cost of getting it fixed wouldn't be worth it. It'd just break again.


Luckily for us, the local LaZBoy store was having a clearance sale! They were renting a space and the landlord decided to get greedy so they're pulling out of Sierra Vista and moving back to Tucson. Their stock was up to 50% off. Pretty darned good for the oh so expensive LaZBoy. Jack and I went on a little recon mission to see if there was even a reason for dragging Wayne in there. Luckily enough, there was!! A week of talking it over and finally, Wayne agreed. We got our comfy, pretty new set with a lifetime warranty and a 5 year fabric guarantee. Woo hoo!!! And since they're a warm brown (raisin) and the new chair is a smoky blue, we don't have to change the rest of our decor at all!!


And now we have even more room for people to sit when they come to visit us! Which we love love love. Some come visit and sit on our awesome new couches...
Oh. And I hate the 1970's afghan style pillows so if you find some inexpensive, raisin/smoky blue pillows that are made of a fabric that won't cause me to irrationally yell, "Get your drooly/sweaty/sticky head off that pillow!" at my husband and child, let me know!! (I have raw silk pillows in my bedroom that neither of them are allowed to touch.) I like stripes, paisley, and other fun patterns. (Hint: Alyssa, I'm lookin at you, babe!)

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! I love the new couches and chair! I'll keep an eye out for you on the pillows and let you know!

    ReplyDelete