Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Dear Universe,

This year has been full of surprises.  Full of joy and discovery.  Full of friends and laughter and love.  And very light on heartache.  Thank you so so much for all the blessings.  Since each is from you, you probably don't need to read on (it may get overly emotional, snarky and/or boring) but for everyone else who reads my blog...

Obviously, I'm so very grateful for my son.  Jack.  The Jackalope.  Or mostly, this year, Jack-Avery-Decker-Answer-Me-Right-Now!!  Thank you for giving me the strength and humility to keep from losing my mind as my son discovered independence, attitude and the power of ignoring me.  It's taught me so much!!  Thank you, mostly, for his sense of humor, cute faces, and his loving nature.  He truly adds something special to everyone's lives.

Second on my list of gratitudes has to be my husband, Wayne.  I am thankful to have found a man who understands me.  Who I can honestly say is my best friend.  He is there for me all the time, without a doubt.  He's funny, smart, sexy, stronger than anyone I know, and just a great guy, all around.  Of course, I am MOST thankful for when he teaches me to recognize my own moods - like when he points out that I'm cranky, or nagging, or ditzy.  It's amazing how much I learn from him.  Not to mention the fact that he shares his hard earned money with me.  And his TV!  What a generous, loving soul!

Ah, my extended family.  Riann, Dana, Mike, Rachael... the siblings who taught me that I am not a morning person, that I am truly the most emotional one of the bunch, and that I am the slowest in a race. My many parents... my new stepsisters... my in-laws... They all know (or I hope they do) how much they really mean to me!!

Then, there are my friends.  The friends I get silly with, get drunk with, cry with, laugh with, test boundaries with, fight with, make up with, go out with, stay in with... Who've taught me how to stand up for myself, laugh at myself, believe in myself, and BE myself.  My friends who love me unconditionally, who are there for me, who truly know me, who ignore me, who apologize for ignoring me (ha!  You know who you are!), who have their own complicated, beautiful lives that they let me share in.

Lastly, besides of course being thankful for all my material possessions (clothes, car, house, furniture, and all the bills, paperwork and randomness that clutter that furniture), I am thankful for ME.   That's right.  I said it out loud.  (Or on paper... um... computer?  Idk!)  I am thankful for the muscles that help me cart around a 4 year old.  For the brains that help me figure out the bills and our schedules.  For the creativity that helped me to find the outlet of making jewelry.  I'm thankful for the words that come easily to me, for my love of reading and my love of cooking.  I'm thankful for all the things that make my friends and family and husband and son love me enough to stand me when I'm being a little bit neurotic and crazy.  But I think most of all, I am thankful for my heart.  Because as much as it can hurt, it can love so much more.   So, thanks, Universe for giving me this great big loving heart.

Love always,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment