Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fat bottom

I was going to say "rock bottom" but my ass has gotten so big I thought this title was more appropriate.
I am currently at a weight higher than I've ever been. Higher than I ever thought I could be or would allow myself to be. I'm the size now that I recall telling one of my friends or sisters, "If I ever get that big, please shoot me." Well, no one's whipping out their Glocks but I gotta do SOMETHING... NOW.
I'm tired of having excuses and reasons. I'm exhausted by my own faulty reasoning. I am over it.
I've been trying, for some time now, to get us away from processed foods and eating more whole foods. The more I think about it, the more I hate the idea of ingesting all the chemicals you find in processed foods. Added to that the unnecessary sugars and salts scare me. It's definitely harder than you'd think to break the addiction to processed, refined foods. Especially, for me, the crackers, white breads, etc. As much as I do enjoy whole grains done right, it's fairly expensive to eat that way. Not to mention the time it takes to become accustomed to the flavors and textures.
This week, however, we're jump-starting our resolve to eat healthier. Of all places, I found a great plan in Glamour magazine. I just don't see how "detoxing" can be possible with the chemical solutions found at GNC or similar places. To me, detoxing is about getting rid of the chemicals in my body. So, the whole foods plan I found in Glamour works perfectly!! Lean proteins (egg whites, lean chicken and pork, fish/shellfish), tons of fruits and veggies and herbs and spices (sans salt!), low fat dairy (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, skim milk), and limited whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa). No breads. Cereal has to be 9g of fiber or more. Nuts, avocado, olive oil, and canola oil for fats. It's one week of this, then we can add in whole grain breads and pastas, a little more dairy and red meat. But I really feel this will help us restart our bodies and minds.
Plus, being that Jack will be at preschool two mornings per week, I am resolved to go to the gym during that time. My plan is to get up early, make breakfast for Wayne and I, drop Jack at school, then go straight to the gym for a workout (provided by my much missed and loved ex-trainer Jen E!) that includes cardio and strength training. After that, I'll come home, shower and clean until it's time to pick up the monster. The afternoons will be mine for relaxing while he naps. (Fingers crossed on that part!)
I had Wayne take Biggest Loser style pics tonight - Sports bra, stretchy pants. It's bad. Soooo bad. But it's motivation. And when I have good pics to compare it to, I'll be stoked to post them on here. But not until then! Perhaps posting the picture for the world (ahem, all 4 of you) to see would mean more accountability, but my self-esteem surely can't take that. Nor would posting the evil number. So we'll just say my current goal is losing 3 lbs by next Monday. After that, my goal is 15 lbs by the time my dad comes to visit on June 25. And Halloween this year? Totally slutty costume (after I've ditched whatever I wear to take Jack trick or treating, of course)! Now someone will have to throw a party for me to wear the slutty costume. Haha. I'm thinking a fairy slut. I've always loved fairy costumes. :D
But I get ahead of myself. Envisioning the end goal has yet to help me so far. Instead, I'll be focusing on weekly progress in weight, energy, and strength. Of course, the way my clothes fit will be a big indicator, as well. So... yeah. That's the latest. :)

2 comments:

  1. We JUST had this conversation around a pool with late-night cocktails... eating healthy IS amazing BUT definitely expensive. As if it wasn't hard enough already, add in the cost PLUS the time it requires to keep fresh food stocked and used... so glad to read this, no matter who is size what - we ALL need to think from the inside out and take care of ourselves. I am constantly struggling with the wave of eating well & eating poorly, and my self-image - as well as my energy, stamina and drive - suffer when I "bottom out" again. Right there with you Jen and want to see you SO successful for the inner you - but am more than willing to celebrate with the outer you too!! I am dedicated to change as well... tired of this roller coaster :)

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marissa!! I did end up spending twice as much as I normally do. Which is a complete bummer... but, today, eating right and feeling so proud of myself - it may just be worth it!!! (Plus, if we stop eating out, it may cover the extra expense! LOL)

    ReplyDelete