Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day one of detox diet

So, yesterday, we ate better but not strictly according to the detox diet plan. I had Fiber One Caramel Delights cereal with 1% milk - waaaay yummier than I expected, btw - for breakfast. Then Jack and I headed 30 minutes away to Benson's Super Walmart for the grocery shopping. I was hoping to save some money, since I normally do when I shop there. However, I quickly proved the "healthy eating is expensive" theory. One week's groceries cost me more than my normal two week shopping. And we really AREN'T that big on processed foods for dinners. By the time we got home, I was thoroughly discouraged and very happy we put off the diet for another day. I had no energy for making a healthy lunch and just wanted to grab something quick and yummy. For lunch, I had four cheese ravioli with basil pesto. And a Lunchable for a snack. Dinner was whole wheat linguine with pesto and shrimp. Oh - and garlic Texas Toast. Which, for some of you healthy eaters, sounds horrible but for us? That's an improvement. Until last night when I got hit with a potato chip craving and to-ho-tally caved. Luckily, there weren't many in there.
(Ugh! Just writing about them makes me want!!)
Today is the first official day of the detox. We weighed in yesterday morning and I just couldn't resist today - I lost 1.8 lbs already!! A lot of that is probably just drinking so much water and staying away from the soda yesterday. But what a motivator!!! After taking Jack to preschool, I went to Safeway for the few things they didn't have a Walmart, came home and ate some Fiber One cereal and a nectarine. (They smelled sooooo good at Safeway!) Then I got started making my turkey chili for Wayne and I to eat for lunch. I had serious doubts about this recipe. I mean, chili made from carrots, zucchini, and squash?! What?! I thought it'd be mushy and weird but let me tell you - it is FAB-U-LOUS!! And so so so pretty when you're cooking it!
You serve it with a half cup of brown rice and a quarter of an avocado and the flavors just all meld together and it's yum. The veggies are crisp tender, the turkey is flavorful and the avocado melts and cools. Mmmm.
I'm just so happy to have found out that I can totally make super healthy foods that I still love! Because the foodie in me will never be happy treating food as "a chore" or "just nourishment." Let's hope the rest of the recipes I got from Glamour are as good!!

1 comment:

  1. If you are doing a detox diet i would recommend cutting out starches completely, no brown rice or whole grain pastas for two weeks. You will lose twice as much by just eating meat and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete