Monday, September 14, 2009

Blissfully happy

Well, that may be an exaggeration but I am happy, so that counts for something, right? I was just thinking... I generally blog when something is bugging me and my husband, sisters and friends are all busy with work, friends, or anything else more interesting/demanding than listening to me bitch. Not that I blame them. Who wants to listen to someone spewing vitriol about a crazy lady at the grocery store when you could be snuggling with your special someone or eating dinner or watching your kid play football or watching grass grow?

(I just read the word vitriol in a book the other day and can't get it out of my head. I'm so happy I got to use it.)

Anywho... I have been thinking about how lucky I really am lately. My husband, while never perfect, is an amazing person. He never complains about coming home from a long day at work and diving right into play fighting with Jack - in fact, he loves it. On the rare occasion that I am seriously hungover, he does not batter me with recriminations or "you know betters." He simply drives to Filiberto's to get me a Country burrito. After I've eaten, he gives me ibuprofen and water, and sends me back to bed. Once I've slept an additional 4 hours, he then goes out and gets me an extra large Diet Coke for my caffeine fix. And he does it all without complaint. This wonderful husband of mine also would do anything for his friends and family. But he doesn't take any bullshit. I love that about him. He's smart and seriously seriously funny. (Don't tell him I said that, though.) We have our arguments but we're getting better at them. And he loves to watch the most boring science and history shows... not to mention football. But! Much as I vowed to never have all day football Sundays because I hated them sooo very much growing up, we've found a compromise. He had football on all day long yesterday and I didn't mind one single bit because he didn't neglect us in favor of a game on TV. He didn't get angry when Jack and I were being too loud and he couldn't hear the game. He offered, several times, to change the channel if I was too bored. He answered my questions (only one this time!) without exasperation or frustration.
We have a gorgeous brilliant funny son, an awesome house, nice things in that house, two newish vehicles that not only get us from A to B but also have room for all our crap when traveling, food, clothes, a million toys. Most of that list was material, but I'm trying to make this short and sweet. I guess I'm saying I feel so incredibly lucky to be where I am when I am with who I am. And I think that's enough bragging for now... the next blog will be bitchy and caustic and funny. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment