Monday, January 17, 2011

Last week...

I totally meant to blog at least once a week this year.  Week one?  Score!  Week two?  Awwww, fail!!  Haha.  I mean, how does the week go by so quickly?  One minute, I'm looking at the date and thinking, "Oh, it's only Sunday.  I have all week to prepare and write a blog."  (Yeah, that's right.  I was going to do actual research and blog about something!  Rather than the whole stream of consciousness, whatever pops into my head kind of blog I generally do.)  Then, I wake up today and it's Monday.  Of the following week.  And I've not blogged.  Oh well!  I'll just have to blog twice this week!
So, last week, I did pretty well on my resolutions.  Except the part where I was going to tackle the reorganization.  The shooting, stabbing pains down my left leg from a pinched sciatic nerve kinda got in the way.  I know what you're thinking - "Absolutely no excuse!!  You promised us organization - we want organization!!"  Settle down.  I went through a few things on the piled up desk.  I took back some "to be returned" items that had piled up.  And I got our yearly budget all worked out.  That's organizing, right?  As for the standing up for myself, not being bogged down with other people's shit, and working towards a better me, I did pretty well.  Yay!
This week, I've got cleaning/organizing while the boys are at school/work Tuesday, women's bible study Wednesday morning, Power Yoga with Carly at TimeOut Yoga Wednesday night, and my session with Cathe Thursday morning.  Not to mention journaling, working on my memory verses for the 2011 Siesta Sister Memory Verse, and all the other wife/mommy things I do.  It's a full week and I am so looking forward to it!!
As for other things in our lives... oh, where to begin.  Hmmm.  Well, Wayne finally got his smoker.  See, I bought him one for Christmas but being an emotional gifter, I didn't do much in the way of research and didn't realize I'd bought him the worst smoker ever.  Not only did it miss most of the main features he wanted, but it also was missing parts.  As in, nuts, bolts, and other pieces that are necessary for construction.  Which we attempted, much to the amusement of Kel and Gaby, on New Year's Eve.  Wayne and I constructing a cast-iron smoker (about the size of a decent gas grill), with faulty instructions and missing pieces is truly sitcom fodder - proving Kel's theory that being at our house is like being in the middle of a sitcom.  But!  We returned the defective piece of junk and purchased a Brinkman from WalMart.  The new one was super easy to construct - less than 30 minutes - but offered very little in the way of sitcom type escapades. 
Today, Wayne is smoking a 12 lb brisket.  He made his own dry rub last night, wrapped the brisket in about 2 miles of cellophane, and let it marinate.  Up at 6 a.m., he got it started.  I am amazed at his dedication.  6 a.m. is not commonly acceptable in our home.  We give 6 a.m. the finger and go back to sleep most days.  This amount of determination will surely result in a delectable treat!  Especially since he's a fantastic cook to begin with. 
Yesterday, we spent an entirely futile day in Tucson, shopping for a new bed.  Not new bedroom furniture.  Not a mattress or box springs.  Just the bed.  Because, sometime after 12 Saturday night, ours broke.  Actually, it broke on Monday.  We heard a loud CRACK!  So, we jumped out of bed, looked for any signs of breakage and climbed back in after finding nothing.  Then, lying there Saturday night, Wayne asks why I'm tapping on the headboard.  Me?  I thought that was you?  Staring each other down, trying to figure out the logical explanation, I suddenly feel the entire top corner of my side slide down toward the floor.  Again, commence the jumping out of bed.  The side support had snapped and then waited 5 days to actually fall apart.  So we took the whole thing apart, put the box springs and mattress on the floor and went to sleep.  After looking at about 597 beds, we've decided to just buy a metal frame until we can save up and buy a whole new suite.  Nothing we found was cost effective enough to warrant having something that doesn't match the rest of the furniture and would drive.me.crazy. with the clashing.  I'd rather have nothing than something that looks crazy.  (And besides, we don't truly love our current set.) 
For now, I'm off to tackle laundry and find the perfect side dishes to accompany Wayne's sure to be delish smoked brisket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment