Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lull

So, you know how you'll be crazy busy for weeks on end, thinking to yourself, "Ugh! I just need a day off to relax and be in my jammies and watch crappy movies!"?? But then, what inevitably follows that day is a seemingly endless lack of stuff to do. Suddenly, all those friends you had to cram into your schedule are busy with other things and you find yourself bored to tears, day after day after day. You welcome the change - or convince yourself to - for a bit. Tell yourself it's good to take a break and just be. You can work on those projects you've been neglecting. Clip coupons. Read the paper. Catch up on your 100+ Netflix movies... But then... as the days go by... you suddenly find yourself wondering what happened to your social life. Did your friends forget about you? Did you unknowingly commit a social faux pas that is preventing you from being included? Or is that just paranoia and cabin fever?
And when your life gets crazy busy again and you feel like you barely have time to breathe (much less get the housework done, cook dinners, have alone time with the hubby...), you don't want to take a day off because that would just mean the lull is coming again. You try to juggle all your friends and obligations. Keep everyone happy. It feels SO GOOD to be wanted, right? To have your friends literally jealous of time you spend with another.
Is that just me? Am I completely ego-driven to have said that out loud?
Anywho, I am DEFINITELY not in a lull these days. I have been going nonstop for what feels like forever. I took one day last week to lay around in my pj's but it really didn't feel too lazy because I still had Jack and dinner and other mom/wife stuff going on. And I am not, by any means, complaining about keeping busy. I love that I have so many friends that I had to get a Blackberry to keep track of my schedule. I love hanging out with everyone. But, as Wayne not so nicely pointed out to me - I don't always have to go to everything and go everywhere, everyday. (Of course, he meant it in a "You could stay home and clean this damn house, woman" kinda way, but he has a point.) I do feel a bit overwhelmed when someone asks me to do something and I have to look at my calendar for two weeks from now to find a free day. And if it's a Mary Kay thing, then I get a little panicky because I should be focusing on building my business yet I find many of my days filled with playdates or breakfast dates or lunch dates or movie dates or shopping dates. And I just love it. I don't know when I became the girl who never stays home... who, even on the weekends, when I'm supposed to be lazying with my boys, wants to figure out something to do. Who drags her husband and son to Target just to be out of the house.
Anywho... sorry to my friends that I haven't seen very often lately!! I'm averaging about once every two weeks for most of you. Seriously. It's a busy busy time. But don't worry - I will make time to see you. I promise. Just text/call me and we'll set something up... 2 or 3 weeks from now. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh to be YOU!! I LOVE that you are busy - friends, happiness & love <3 I had THAT lull for a few years and then went crazy - filling up EVERY spare minute... now I don't have time for anything!! Have you seem my middle-ground? I seem to have misplaced it! (haha, like I EVER had it in the first place)... ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete