Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Marissa made me think...

My first big Mary Kay skin care class is today. And when I say big, I mean BIG. Fourteen clients. Whew! That's pretty intimidating my first time out. I emailed a FB friend last night, in the throes of panic, to say, "How the hell do you do what you do, considering I'm going to do what I'm going to do, and when you do what you do, you do something so much more intimate (and to me, embarrassing)?" Which, if you didn't follow that convoluted, grammatically incorrect question, was forefront in my mind because Marissa is a Passion Parties consultant. She goes to people's homes, shows them all the latest and greatest sex toys, lubes and the like, and she has so. much. fun. doing it!! I am nervous to the point of stomach upset, shaking hands, and wobbly voice over demo'ing skin care products! And not just any old products. Products that I know, use, and love! How hard is THAT?!
Not hard at all, you say. Well, sure! If you don't have an inner core of shyness that you have to combat at every turn. Which, upon reading Marissa's amazingly supportive and upbeat reply to my panic filled email, I remembered something: part of the reason I'm doing this whole MK gig is to help FIGHT THAT FEAR. I refuse to be a victim to my own low self-esteem. (Or anymore of a victim than I already am.) And if one of the symptoms is fear of public speaking or too much attention, then damn it, I'm going to throw myself into the middle of the arena and squeak, "Hi, there. It's me. I'm worth the attention," before running away. (Were you expecting "I am woman, hear me roar!"? Because I save that kind of confidence for arguing with the hubby. LOL) Baby steps, people. And, like Marissa pointed out, I will grow so much from this experience. So now I'm off to grow. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment